I don't often post recipes, but it's something I want to start doing more frequently. Here's one of my favourite recipes for a special occasion…soft, buttery sponge, tart raspberries and silky smooth, rich dark chocolate ganache. You could make it simply a 2 layer cake by halving all the quantities in the recipe.
FOUR LAYER SPONGE WITH RASPBERRIES AND GANACHE
300g butter, softened
300g unrefined, golden caster sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 organic eggs
300g spelt flour
100g ground almonds
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
2 cups of frozen raspberries
300g good-quality 70% dark chocolate
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C fanbake. Line 4 x 22cm size cake tins.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
3) Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time.
4) Sift the flour, ground almonds and baking powder into the mixture, and add the yogurt. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined; do not over-mix.
5) Divide the batter evenly between the four tins. Dot 1/2 cup of raspberries into each one.
6) Bake for 30 minutes or until golden in colour and springy to the touch. Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
7) Meanwhile, make the ganache. Heat the cream in a saucepan until small bubbles start to appear on the surface. Take off/out of the heat and drop in the chocolate.
Stir or use mixer until it is melted through; the ganache should be thick, smooth and glossy.
8) Once cakes are completely cool, apply a layer of ganache to one of the sponges then top with another layer of sponge. Don’t be too generous here as the layers will slide apart if there’s too much (but you do want that dripping effect down the sides). Continue the process until top layer is in place. Apply a very neat layer of ganache to this top layer and allow the whole cake to chill in the fridge for half an hour.
9) Once the ganache is fully set, garnish with crushed freeze dried raspberries, berry coulis, dried rose petals and fresh flower buds.