Ganache is pretty easy to make, but also pretty easy to mess up. When it's made properly it's glossy and thick and delicious smothered over a cake. I make it all the time, but it took me a little while to figure out how to get it perfect (the number one rule is very good quality chocolate). I thought I'd share with you all my ganache recipe:
250 ml heavy poring cream
250 g 70-80% very good quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just reaches a boil (small bubbles will appear).
2. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate.
3. Stir gently to make sure all of the chocolate is covered by the cream and allow it to sit for a minute.
4. Stir well, until it is smooth and blended. Add the vanilla and mix it in.
5. Pour over your cake immediately and then refrigerate if you want it to set quickly.
Note: you can use a dollop of butter if you want it to be extra glossy.